I came into this week’s activities with trepidation, but am really excited at the prospect for text and network visualizations in my project.
Gelphi: It took me a while to get Gelphi to open. Initially, I had an error message about Java, but after checking forums I learned I was not alone. I downloaded Java Oracle kit 8 (then learned that was too new) and downloaded kit 7, then Gelphi opened right up. After changing column headers name-source and hometown-target as Brian Sarnaki’s blog detailed I imported my data set. I wanted to show each graduate’s involvement in conflicts so I used the merge column button to combine 7 conflicts. What my graph shows is an iteration of conflicts by graduate, but I would like to figure out how to show each conflict as a base node and branch off graduates – connecting them to multiple conflicts.
Palladio: I tried to map/graph the hometowns, ranks, and conflicts of the graduates using the data set from the past couple of weeks. The video made the mapping look so simplistic, yet for some reason I could not successfully create a map. I compared my data formatting and could not find any major differences, so I would love some help getting my map off the ground. I was able to graph a few things: the graduates by rank and by conflict. I separated the conflicts by column in my .csv file, but would like to find a way to have all the conflicts listed in 1 column for comparison. I’m sure it just comes down to formatting – something I would love to figure out!
To build a corpus for text mining I searched “United States Naval Academy” in the Internet Archive and found a treasure trove of Annual registers from the 1860s to the 1960s. I thought it would be interesting to see what terminology changed over the years. I spread out the years: 1869, 1885, 1895, 1902, 1911, 1928, 1933, 1942, 1955, 1965. Below is findings of the 1869, 1902, and 1955 Annual Registers.
1869 Annual Register of the United States Naval Academy:
1902 Annual Register of the United States Naval Academy:
1955 Annual Register of the United States Naval Academy:
The stop words list was super helpful to weed out unwanted words and transcription issues. The registers had a lot of tables did not transcribe. After retyping the list a couple of times I created a standardized list on word to cut and paste. A couple of interesting things I noticed based on word frequency is that at the turn of the century terminology changed for a short period of time between midshipmen and cadets. By the 1911 Register midshipmen was readopted. Also intriguing is the exponential increase in males with the suffix Jr. While accounting for the continual increase in class size from 60 in 1869 to 500 in the 1950s, it still boggles my mind at the increase.
As of Saturday night I was not able to download Mallet, but I look forward to learning how to work with the platform.