Monthly Archives: April 2016

Making the final decisions

I really enjoyed working on my project this week, actually because I finally feel like I have a decent command of CSS and Dreamweaver. My goal by the end of this week was to have to basic framework for all of my pages complete. Success! I even managed to add a custom google search function and tweak (ever so slightly) the Javascript. I don’t know how to not have a new google based page show up, but it otherwise seems to be working.

I have most of my fun tricks already in place, but I am still trying to find some sort of gallery with caption display option for showing off more of the artifacts related to the individual graduate without creating a long page. My thought is to make something like 2 separate containers (1 with images, 1 captions) within a larger container. I found this HTML slideshow but it has some javascript so we’ll see.

I commented on Amy’s Blog.

Design Project

This last week was filled with adding what content I already had prepared and trying to work out the last of the big quirks. My biggest hurdle was figuring out how to make an accordion menu – this site was one of a few that really helped. The greatest solved mystery came at the hands of Dr. Petrik, who showed me how to use the properties section to “target” other pages in my own site! This has been a life saver! She also helped me better organize my site based on folders. Unfortunately I had some issues with Filezilla leading up to class so I had to post the following links to my site a bit haphazardly.

Home
Grad
Tradition
Hometown

#InteractivityGoals

While reading Joshua Brown’s article “History & the Web” I realized firstly that in the short time since it was written so many technological developments occurred, and secondly that the base message still rings true today – How do you utilize the non-linear democratic capacity of the web and still get visitors to come out with a deeper knowledge of the subject? In Clio I, we learned about a lot of different digital tools that lent themselves to interactivity and then tried applying compatible versions to our own project. In the process, we learned (good or bad) which tools were the best use of the space and best way to present our project.
Revisiting this idea forced me to reevaluate my project from last semester. For example, I still want to use CartoDB to map all of the graduate’s hometowns, but wish the maps could integrate into the site as another search tool. I also dabbled with 3D modeling last semester, but want to take it to the next level to allow user manipulation (all I could figure out to make was a 360 degree video of a ring). What I’d like to end up with is something like the 3D models of skulls from the Smithsonian’s X-3D exhibit. Just this week at work we discovered Bruegel: A Fall with the Rebel Angels, a VR manipulative video interpreting the famed piece at the Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium. I would love to know how they accomplished this! Using Zoomify or Thinglink (which I also used last semester) gets the same idea across but at not nearly the same level. As of now I plan to use Zoomify to show other items in the museum’s collection that pertain to the graduate by using the slideshow/slidestack and caption options.

The Lynda.com video about creating polls and surveys is intriguing but I’m not sure how it could be used for my project. I did wonder about a form for people inquiring about donating items to the Museum, but as a federal institution we can’t solicit donations so I’m not sure where that falls in the spectrum. Probably just comes down to the wording.
While still in my infancy with databases (only Clio I knowledge of Omeka) I realize the inherent interactivity and openness of making available some of your collection online with metadata. That being said, Omeka’s manipulation limitations have me searching for other options. If I don’t end up going with these options then is there a way to host Omeka within our own designed site? Or would we simply link out to the separate Omeka project? I know I just need the time to play with it and figure it out.

I posted on Tam and Amy’s blogs.

Imagery Project

With every assignment we tackle I feel like afterwards I can almost claim a certain level of aptitude in everything we’ve covered. Creating the webpage wasn’t too difficult, but I did have to relearn bits of CSS/HTML that my Photoshop intensive pushed out of my brain. That being said I do really like the results of my image assignment page. I feel like the various tricks and tools of the trade are helping me discover what I eventually want my final design to look like.

The one big issue I still haven’t been able to hurdle is getting all of my fancy fonts to show on each browser. I will definitely be bringing this up in class!

I posted to Danielle’s blog.